Jazz Orchestra & Ensembles
Spotlight has a long history of including live jazz music in its various performing arts showcases and is proud to build upon that tradition with the introduction of the Seattle Spotlight Jazz Orchestra in Fall 2021.
The Seattle Spotlight Jazz Orchestra (SSJO)
SSJO started with a dream of two high school students to form a group of like-minded, dedicated jazz musicians who love the big band sound and who seek out challenging scores to play. Spotlight founder, Frances Garcia Hoffman, gave them a home as part of her plan to create multiple instrumental opportunities in support of the community's talents.
SSJO currently reaches across the entire Seattle region with members from West Seattle, Seattle, Mercer Island, Bellevue, Kirkland, Redmond, and Sammamish.
Key SSJO goals:
- To raise awareness and support of jazz within the broader community through training and education.
- To foster connections and a sense of community while encouraging each participant to reach their personal best.
- To develop professional performance skills and work ethic by focusing on diligence, teamwork, recording, and performing in public venues.
- To encourage collaborative leadership skills through student-driven problem solving and direction.
- To further the understanding and appreciation of the various styles of jazz.
- To provide opportunities to experiment, have fun, and just jam!
The Royals Jazz Ensemble
The Royals is a modern jazz ensemble of friends that formed in 8th grade for a Spotlight fundraiser. Since that momentous beginning, these seasoned, entertaining musicians have continued to spread their passion for jazz in private and public events (weddings, parties, music festivals, fundraisers, jazz/arts fairs, and farmers markets).