Spotlight has a long history of including live jazz music in its various performing arts showcases and is proud to build upon that tradition with the Seattle Spotlight Jazz Orchestra.
The Seattle Spotlight Jazz Orchestra (SSJO)
SSJO started with a dream of two high school students to form a group of like-minded, dedicated jazz musicians who love the big band sound and who seek out challenging scores to play. Spotlight founder, Frances Garcia Hoffman, gave them a home as part of her plan to create multiple instrumental opportunities in support of the community's talents.
SSJO reaches across the entire Seattle region with members from West Seattle, Seattle, Mercer Island, Bellevue, Kirkland, Redmond, Mt. Si, Carnation, and Sammamish.
Key SSJO goals:
- To raise awareness and support of jazz within the broader community through training and education.
- To foster connections and a sense of community while encouraging each participant to reach their personal best.
- To develop professional performance skills and work ethic by focusing on diligence, teamwork, recording, and performing in public venues.
- To encourage collaborative leadership skills through student-driven problem solving and direction.
- To further the understanding and appreciation of the various styles of jazz.
- To provide opportunities to experiment, have fun, and just jam!
In addition to performing in local community events, SSJO promotes professional musicianship by preparing and submitting audition recordings to jazz competitions.
2022-23 Season: September 2022 - May 2023
Sunday afternoons or evenings; please email SpotlightSSJO@gmail.com for specific schedule or for more information.
Meet our SSJO Co-Founder & Leader
Seth DeWhitt has led SSJO for 2 seasons since Fall 2021, and he fell in love with performing tenor sax when he joined the Inglewood Middle School jazz band program.
As the leader of The Royals, a modern band of friends since 8th grade, Seth developed a passion to share those same student-driven experiences with a big band of committed jazz musicians.
Seth is extremely grateful for Frances Garcia Hoffman's welcoming of SSJO into Spotlight and the growth opportunities that she always invites and cultivates within her Spotlight community.
The Royals Modern Band
The Royals is a modern jazz-funk-rock fusion band of friends that formed in 8th grade for a Spotlight fundraiser. Since that momentous beginning, these seasoned, entertaining musicians have continued to spread their passion for jazz in private and public events (weddings, parties, music festivals, fundraisers, jazz/arts fairs, and farmers markets).